Saturday, July 6, 2013

Party of 5

For as long as I could remember, I've always enjoyed the idea of having a large family. I wanted at least 4 children and probably wouldn't have wanted to stop there. I don't watch TV but absolutely love the Duggar and the Bates families. I end up paying $1.99 a week to watch their episodes. I say that it's cheap training for me as a parent. So worth it.

So after losing 7 babies and having two little miracle girls, we chose to have no more children when Ensley was only a few weeks old. It's a decision that I feel we were forced guided into from our doctor. For years, while sitting at our dining room table, we've talked and discussed the idea of adoption. I'm not sure we are there yet but we've always thrown around the idea of filling up our table. Those empty seats are disturbing.

One year ago, my parents made the decision to move to their beautiful, beloved lake home. It's so much fun, so quaint and has incredible character. Devan, my then 18 year old sister wasn't quite sure about moving, further away from her home and only having one bathroom there. My parents offered for us to buy their home in Hokes Bluff. We jumped at the chance to move to my "teenage" home. After realizing that Devan wasn't sure what to do, we offered for her to live with us.

It's been one of the best decisions of our lives.

I'd like to introduce you to Devan Elaine Higgins. She is 19 years old, one of the smartest people I know and such an incredible joy.


 
Here's just a few things we've noticed that we LOVE about this girl!
 
1. She LOVES spending time with Mabrey and Ensley. This is Devan and Ensley at the airport snuggling and watching something on the iPod.
 

2. She radiates joy.

 

3. She loves eating and cooking as much as we do.

 

4. She loves The Lord with all her heart, soul and mind.

(This is the current bible study she and I are doing.)

 

5. She challenges us with good questions and makes us think.

6. She's very calm.

7. She disciples our girls with a great bible study called:HER, a guide to becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman.

8. She is a serious board and card gamer.

9. She's beautiful inside and out but doesn't know it.

10. She respects what Scott and I say.

11. She gets so excited about the little things.

12. She's preparing us to raise two teens.

13. She cleans the kitchen everyday without being told.

14. She takes advice to heart.

 

 

15. She's such a hard worker.

(Cleaning out the pantry here!)

16. She meditates on the Word and digs deep into questions she has.

 

17. She loves "family time" whether home, at the lake with Mom and Dad, or out and about.

18. She is absolutely crazy and FUN!

 

19. She's super patient in dealing with this wild family.

 

20. She's so thoughtful by always buying small wonderful gifts for us.

(She found this amazing chalk board window for me a few weeks ago!)

 

This list could go on and on but these are 20 that I didn't even have to think about. God is so good and gives us what we need. I know that our time is limited as a party of five, but for the time being we will enjoy our Dungeon Dweller, Devan.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment