Saturday, June 23, 2012

Amish Obsession

I have a problem.  I am considering getting help for it.  I think I have an obsession with Amish people! Shocking I know. 

 They are absolutely fascinating!!  I might would even consider being Amish but the whole air conditioning thing along with no deodorant, no hot water, no musical instruments, and a few other things including not having Baptist faith gets me everytime. 
 I guess I'll just stay non-Amish.  LOL!!!

Back in January, our family went to Nashville for a New Years vacation.  On the way home, I came up with a brilliant idea to visit Ethridge, TN.  It was just 30 minutes off the beaten path and everyone seemed to agree to go.  It's the home of the largest Old Order Amish population in Tennessee and was calling my name.  

We went on a buggy tour to the farms and it was breathtaking!  


Ok, I actually stole this pic off the internet.  They have this unspoken rule that no pics should be taken of them so since I didn't want to disrespect, I just got this cutie pie one to show on here.  Anyway, they look just like this and the buggies were the same:)



We saw horse and buggies everywhere!!!  I was so giddy, nobody could stand to be around me!!!




It was only the coldest day of the entire year!!



I really think he'd make a fine Jedidiah! 
 I'm still not sure why we aren't Amish.  



Ensley was SO in her element, just not sure about the NO ballet rule in their world.  Nah, she'd never love being Amish but she was just about as fascinated as I was.  


Sherry and I have decided that we were born in the wrong century. We really could have lived in pioneer times.  Sure would hate not having our Iphones though. 


Mabrey wouldn't be caught dead in a bonnet there so I took a nice picture of them in Nashville to display for you.  Don't they have the sweetest smiles?  

When our world is so busy and hectic, it's so nice to visit slower, simpler times.  
It makes me stop and think what's really important.  

~Top 10 things I've learned from the Amish~

10.  Clothes hanging on the line is just beautiful.
9. Little girls look precious and modest in dresses.
8.  Sometimes you don't need the things you "need".
7. Submitting doesn't mean being inferior.
6. Teamwork and humility have their place.
5. Gardening really is the best way.
4. The slower way of life is the most attractive to me.
3. Their discipline method with their children is 
the BEST I've ever seen.
2. Besides God, family really is the best thing there is.
1.  That I am not cut out to be Amish.

5 comments:

  1. Girl, we definitely share a soul! We went to tour the Amish farms in TN, and I have been to the ones in Lancaster, PA too! I love reading books about the Amish. Have you read The Redemption of Sarah Cain? So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!!! We absolutely share a soul!! I had no idea that you loved them too! No, but maybe I saw the movie? I've read a lot of the Beverly Lewis ones. Fantastic! I'm dying to go to Lancaster!!! This would be my dream vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were born Amish, then you wouldn't miss all of the things you wouldn't have (iPhones, air conditioning, music, etc...) because you wouldn't have ever had them. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O my goodness, I totally know what you mean (I have rather a fascination with Shakers as well haha). I used to go to school in a town with a large Amish community, and you'd meet many of them at the market too. There certainly is much we could learn from their lifestyle, though I do admit I'm not sure about giving up the phone and internet lol Have you seen the movie Witness? It does show some wonderful aspects of Amish life. So glad to have discovered your beautiful blog, and am now following :)

    ReplyDelete