Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Perfect Little Bean

I have a feeling I may be a nerd.  I just think that maybe that I am.  What's so funny is that I don't mind being a nerd.  I could be a whole lot worse.  Not only am I a nerd, I'm a passionate nerd.  When I enjoy doing something, I love to give it all I've got!

Just sometimes, my timing is a WEE bit off.  

A few weeks ago, we were about to go to the beach and had a heap of things to accomplish before we went, including moving all of our furniture for the painter to come in and paint our house.  No Problem except I went and bought a TON of green beans to put up.

Yeah, didn't go over too well with the Mr. either.  

This week, I HAD to go again and get the BEST rattlesnake beans in the world.  I have no idea of the name of the place but it's just fabulous.  Nobody works there in the daytime.  You just pick out your veggies and put your money in a little safe.  It's so so cool. Makes me think that there are still some great trusting and trustworthy people left around here. 




This is the cool no-name place in Wellington!

My heart really beats fast when I'm there.  I'm not sure why but I feel like I'm in competition with the other people there to get the most and prettiest produce.  Weird I know!  :)


Mabrey even loves to help me measure because she's a true math girl and likes to 
figure out the best deal possible.  


Nothing better after a day in the sun swimming to help Momma put up veggies.  


Time to blanch---boil for 3 minutes
I added immediately to ice water to cool for 3 minutes
Beans are bagged and ready to freeze.  I stick a straw and suck all the air out to prevent freezer burning.  It makes me feel a little light headed and yucko but it works like a charm.  I actually put up six bags today!  YAY!

For some reason, this gives me incredible happiness; just putting up food for my family makes me feel like I'm doing some healthy for them.  Maybe this cancels out our McDonalds tea and chicken nuggets today.

I love harvest time and canning and freezing season!

EVEN IF MY TIMING STINKS SOMETIMES!:)

1 comment:

  1. I love FRESH vegetables! I hate all the produce that sits on the shelves forever and are full of preservatives. I'm going to have to try that place out!

    ReplyDelete